So now we have a new entrant in the “Who can generate the most convoluted and ineffective economic plan that still raises the debt ceiling” sweepstakes: The Gang of Six. I poured out my derision on the gullible Republican Senators who think the Democrats aren’t lying through their teeth when they promise some non-specific spending cuts later in exchange for a trillion or so dollars in tax increases now. Those of us who aren’t marinated in the sludge of Washington politics remember 1984 and 1990 pretty clearly. We know how far we can trust the Democrats. But we also remember 1994, when spending cuts and tax cuts led to balanced budgets and a booming economy.
The show last night was good. I got a bit hot about the debt ceiling debate and uttered a couple words that aren’t strictly safe for work or small kids, but there were only three or so of them and they didn’t escalate into Joe Pesci-level cursing, so it should be okay. I’ll put the show post up later. I’ll also have a special post over at The Delivery’s web site about a new little addition to the show. There should be pictures and everything, so stay tuned!
And now, links!
- Chris Muir’s yearly fundraising drive is on and he has plenty of choice swag for contributors. Go on over and keep the man running for another year!
- We can’t spare this man from the House of Representatives. He fights!
- We take earthquake preparedness for granted here because we’re well-off and well-informed. In most other countries prone to quakes, a big earthquake could mean death on a scale we see only in our nightmares.
- So, why does an obviously partisan group like Media Matters, which has launched a very public war against a single news channel, enjoy the benefits of a non-partisan public interest group? Well, beyond the protection it enjoys from the Democratic Party, that is.
- Our poor are not very poor at all, it turns out.
- There has to be some reason aside from politics or anti-science dogma that has kept the Obama administration from releasing the Gulf of Mexico from its job-killing choke hold. I’d love to know what it is.
- Lisa DePasquale has some very good tips for saving money in these bad economic times, whether you’re unemployed or simply another underemployed victim of the Obama Recession.
- I don’t think I like the new Thorin Oakenshield. He doesn’t look Dwarvish enough for The Hobbit.