I bet you thought Automated Teller Machines were a triumph of modern technology that made your life easier. Remember the days when, if you wanted cash in your pocket for the weekend, you had to get by the bank before it closed at 2 PM on Friday with a check made out to “Cash”? No? Well, that’s probably because ATMs have been with us for long enough that we have a couple entire generations who have never known a time when they didn’t exist.
President Obama, though, is not so enamored of them. He blames them, in part, for our high unemployment rate.
Jonah Goldberg put the President’s latest “it’s not my fault” gambit to bed pretty firmly and suggested that if the President wants to blame a big technological push for job loss, there’s one on the immediate horizon far better suited to shoulder some blame.
The show post for this week’s The Delivery should hit in the early afternoon. I’m expecting a busy morning at work, but it’ll be worth the wait. I broke the show’s format for the first time in almost two years, but it was for a pretty good reason. You’ll understand when you hear it.
And now, links.
- Remember when President George H.W. Bush got slammed for his alleged astonishment of a barcode scanner in a grocery store (a story which was fraud from the jump)? Somehow I don’t think Barack Obama is going to catch the same flack for blaming unemployment on ATMs.
- Speaking of stories that were frauds from the beginning, Margaret Thatcher did not refuse to meet with Sarah Palin, as was widely reported without verification.
- And speaking of stories that would have sunk any Republican President, have you ever heard of Operation Fast and Furious?
- Kurt Schlichter delivered a well-earned dressing-down to the feckless GOP leadership in Congress.
- Of course we’re all hot lesbians. It’s the Internet!
- Rob Long: Dear Parents, ease off!
- I can’t believe that Ferris Beuller’s Day Off needs anyone to defend it, yet it does.