I agree with Stephen Green’s assessment of Sunday night’s Abbottabad raid in every detail. His second point, especially, sums up my delighted surprise.
The second surprise? That President Obama sent in SEAL Team Six instead of jets, a UAV, or a cruise missile. Obama usually prefers his wars a little more antiseptic, but he made the right decision here. Killing Osama was personal, not business, and I’m glad a US shooter made the ID and took out the target.
Well done, Mr. President. Thank you.
Read over this story and learn just how much effort it took to run Osama bin laden to ground and how many of the Bush-era methods so reviled by the President and his Democratic fellows came into play. I’d like to think that he’s changed his mind, but I remain a skeptic.
And then there’s Pakistan, which has proven itself not our ally. What he will do about that, if anything, is still very much an open question. I pray that he keeps the resolve he showed this weekend, but I definitely have my doubts. Still, he did the right thing this weekend and has earned my thanks for it. I hope to have more opportunities to thank him before he takes his leave of us in 2013.
And now, links.
- Hail the conquering hero. No, not that conquering hero or that one, or any of the ones who were actually in Pakistan on Sunday. In a related story, let’s not forget that the domestic mission is far from accomplished.
- This picture, taken as high-ranking members of the administration watched the raid on Obama bin Laden’s compound, interested me greatly. The facial expressions and body language of everyone present could say more than a hundred stories, I think.
- This picture, however, is my very favorite.
- Here come the New Puritans, dragging their wet blanket behind them.
- It’s funny how much things can change in just a few years isn’t it? What was reviled as dangerous and possible treasonous is now the toast of the town.
- The poo-flinging monkey brigade at Think Progress aren’t New Puritans. They are just partisan hacks who couldn’t wait a day before launching an unfounded attack on Andrew Breitbart.
- Mark Steyn was not a fan of the President’s announcement. I’ve had the chance to listen to it a couple times and I finally read it today as well. It doesn’t sit as well the second or third time as it did the first. The petulance is unavoidable and the continues used of “I…Me…My” really stands out.
- Finally, a little cartoon to cheer your heart: Osama bin Laden gets a Heavenly surprise.
Category: Political Pontifications