I have to share this little piece of brilliance from Ed Driscoll about how the progressive left has become the Margaret Dumont of the political world. You’ve probably suspected progressives have become the ninnies they have always claimed to despite, reactionary whiners whose sense of outrage is more sensitive than the motion sensors at Monty Burns’ mansion, but it’s nice to have it all laid out in front of you. Kudos, Ed!
For well over a century, the goal of bohemian modern art was “épater le bourgeois” — shocking the bourgeois — but as David Brooks noted a decade ago (before he became a would-be presidential fashion critic), today’s wannabe bohemians are the bourgeois. The average person who drops in on the Museum of Modern Art is rather jaded these days when he views the output of this week’s newest would-be Mapplethorpe, but look at how easy it is to shock the left:
- A liberal on Fox News? Shocking!
- A conservative on ABC? Shocking!
- Mention God in a non-ironic fashion? Shocking!
- Depict Mohammad? Shocking! (Except when it isn’t.)
- Republican victories? Shocking!
- Support small[er] government? Shocking!
- Conservative Hollywood actors? Shocking!
- Conservative musicians? Shocking!
- Question this week’s global warming dogma? Shocking!
- A family movie? Shocking! (And fascist!)
- An action movie in a non-PC-approved historical setting? Shocking! (And fascist!)
- Investigative journalism tactics against Democrat institutions? Shocking! (And distasteful!)
- Democrats who support the “wrong” candidate? Shocking! (And racist!)
- Disagree with the president? Shocking! (And racist!)
- Fast food? Shocking!
- Bottled water? Shocking!
- Soda? Shocking!
- Calling Democrats Democrat? Shocking!
For a gang that prides itself on being “reality-based”, progressives sure do have a tough time handling reality without falling to pieces.